Domaine Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Rouge, Morgeot, Burgundy, France, 2017
Laurent Pillot, who took over the running of Domaine Pillot in his mid-twenties, transformed his family estate from grape growers to a leading estate and one of the superstars of Chassagne-Montrachet. With a superb collection of vineyards and a modern winemaking facility on the edge of the village, both their red and white wines are of an excellent quality. From the exotic fruit driven Meursault through to the round, sultry Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Rouge the underlying minerality shines through.
The soil is very stony, mixed with shallow red earth. Sometimes the limestone base rock breaks into the soil profile. This results in a very hot micro climate in summer near the grape bunches, due to the reflected sunlight from the white stones. The soil also contains iron ore.
Style and Values
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 13.5%
- Country: France
- Vint: 2017
- Food Match : Fabulous with rich dishes, pates or terrines.
- Tasting Notes:
A wonderfully expressive aroma of ripe wild strawberries, violets and cherries, gives way to a silky palate of concentrated yet subtle and refined fruit. Fine French oak creates a background of savoury, smoky flavours upon which there is ample, juicy, ripe fruit with tangy mineral elements. Well balanced, complex and smooth on the finish.
- Grape Types: Pinot Noir
You might also like
- £16.49 per bottlePouilly Fumé, Les Loges, Domaine Pierre Marchand, 2018, 75cl
- £11.75 per bottleVilla Wolf Pinot Noir Rose, 2018 75cl
- £10.00 per bottleGift Voucher £10
- £9.60 per bottleSimonsig Chenin Blanc, 2018, 75cl
- £26.99 per bottleCabernet Franc, Raats Family Wines, 2015, 75cl
- £40.00 per bottleArbikie Vodka
- £8.95 per bottleAves Del Sur Carmenere, 2019, 75cl
- £8.65 per bottlePierre et Papa, Dry White, IGP Comté Tolosan, France , 2018
- £8.65 per bottleCabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Central Valley, Costa Vera, Indómita, 2019, 75cl
- £31.99 per bottleClos Henri Pinot Noir, 2014, 75cl
- £15.99 per bottleCunning Plan Shiraz, Langhorne Creek, Thistledown, 2018, 75cl
- £13.49 per bottleVerdicchio di Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore, Cima Signoria, DOC, Zaccagnini, 2018, 75cl