Dominio de Cair, Cair, DO Ribera del Duero, Spain (150cl.), 2012
The name Cair is an amalgamation of the first two letters of two great friends’ surnames, Juan Luis Cañas and Juan José Iribecampos. After searching high and low for the perfect site they settled on the heights of Ribera del Duero, where in poor soils they found old, gnarly Tempranillo bush vines. Cair wines display the hallmark style of finesse and power, found in both Luis Canas and Bodegas Amaren in Rioja. Great balance between the fruit and the oak has seen these wines winning the IWC Ribera del Duero Trophy on occasion.
Grapes are picked by hand and placed in small plastic crates. Upon entering the winery, bunches undergo a manual selection and then individual grapes are sorted based on their weight. Following this double selection process, they are destemmed and crushed before undergoing alcoholic fermentation in small stainless steel tanks. After its primary fermentation, malolactic fermentation takes place in new French and American oak barrels for 14 months. It later spends at least 12 months in the bottle to round its aging.
Style and Values
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 14.5%
- Country: Spain
- Vint: 2012
- Food Match : Try this fantastic wine with tapas dishes, grilled red meat and hard cheeses.
- Tasting Notes: Black cherry with good depth of colour. An intense nose of fine wood, leather, cigar box, dark chocolate & fruit combine with sweet tannins to produce a beautifully balanced, elegant red wine. Full and powerful on the attack with good balance. A meaty, juicy mouth feel with sweet tannins and a long, lingering finish.
- Grape Types: Tempranillo
You might also like
- £15.99 per bottleGavi, DOCG, Tenuta Olim Bauda, 2018, 75cl
- £8.49 per bottleChardonnay, Los Espinos, Espinos Y Cardos, 2019, 75cl
- £10.15 per bottleViognier, Santa Rosa Estate, 2018, 75cl
- £9.90 per bottlePetit Balthazar Merlot, 2017, 75cl
- £42.99 per bottleBlanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 75cl
- £10.99 per bottleGatito Loco, Blanco Organic, Rioja, Spain, 2018
- £10.95 per bottleD`A Marsanne, `Lot 12`, Domaine Astruc 2016
- £21.99 per bottleJohannes Trapl, Blaufränkisch Reserve, Carnuntum, Austria, 2016
- £44.25 per bottleBenromach Organic
- £16.49 per bottlePouilly Fumé, Les Loges, Domaine Pierre Marchand, 2018, 75cl
- £65.75 per bottlePouilly-fume Demoiselle, Mags, 2012, 150cl
- £32.99 per bottleGrüner Veltliner Smaragd, Achleiten, Single Vineyard, Domäne Wachau, 2017, 75cl