Dominio de Cair, Cair, DO Ribera del Duero, Spain (150cl.), 2014
The name Cair is an amalgamation of the first two letters of two great friends’ surnames, Juan Luis Cañas and Juan José Iribecampos. After searching high and low for the perfect site they settled on the heights of Ribera del Duero, where in poor soils they found old, gnarly Tempranillo bush vines. Cair wines display the hallmark style of finesse and power, found in both Luis Canas and Bodegas Amaren in Rioja. Great balance between the fruit and the oak has seen these wines winning the IWC Ribera del Duero Trophy on occasion.
Grapes are picked by hand and placed in small plastic crates. Upon entering the winery, bunches undergo a manual selection and then individual grapes are sorted based on their weight. Following this double selection process, they are destemmed and crushed before undergoing alcoholic fermentation in small stainless steel tanks. After its primary fermentation, malolactic fermentation takes place in new French and American oak barrels for 14 months. It later spends at least 12 months in the bottle to round its aging.
Style and Values
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 14.5%
- Country: Spain
- Vint: 2012
- Food Match : Try this fantastic wine with tapas dishes, grilled red meat and hard cheeses.
- Tasting Notes:
Black cherry with good depth of colour. An intense nose of fine wood, leather, cigar box, dark chocolate & fruit combine with sweet tannins to produce a beautifully balanced, elegant red wine. Full and powerful on the attack with good balance. A meaty, juicy mouth feel with sweet tannins and a long, lingering finish.
- Grape Types: Tempranillo
You might also like
- £40.00 per bottleArbikie Vodka
- £39.95 per bottleGeorges Gardet Rose Brut, 75cl
- £9.30 per bottleAlasia Cortese, 2018, 75cl
- £42.99 per bottleBlanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 75cl
- £8.99 per bottleAncora Monferrato Chiaretto, 2018, 75cl
- £19.95 per bottlePickering's Grapefruit & Lemongrass Liqueur
- £10.15 per bottleSanta Rosa Estate, Torrontés, Pinot Grigio, Mendoza, Argentina, 2018
- £11.55 per bottleArrogant Frog, Ribet Chard/viog, 2018, 75cl
- £10.99 per bottlePinot Noir, Santa Macarena, Espinos Y Cardos, 2018, 75cl
- £15.50 per bottleSimonsig Kaapse Vonkel, 2017, 75cl
- £17.99 per bottleRasteau, Guillaume Gonnet, 2017, 75cl
- £28.99 per bottleMajella, Sparkling Shiraz, Coonawarra 2017