Johannes Trapl, Carnuntum White, Carnuntum, Austria, 2018
The driven winemaker Johannes Trapl grows traditional Austrian varieties organically in the region of Carnuntum. His organic journey began over 10 years ago with the initial goal being to have all of his vineyards certified, his attention has now turned to biodynamic practices. Devoted to plant diversity and vineyard care, his grapes are carefully watched as they reach a steady, healthy ripeness. This natural, low tech approach is continued in the winery where grapes for his premium wines are foot-trodden and then naturally fermented before being aged in amphoras to help bring to life the efforts and attention shown in the vineyard.
This white blend of Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc), Grüner Veltliner and Welschriesling is lively and refreshing. The vines are up to 25 years old and grow on calcareous sandy chernozem soils around Stixneusiedl.
The grapes are handpicked and whole-bunch pressed. After 48 hours maceration, the must is fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks and oak casks. The wine is then matured for 6 months in stainless steel tanks.
Style and Values
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 12%
- Country: Austria
- Vint: 2018
- Food Match : Italian food
- Tasting Notes:
This blend shows bright yellow-green colour and typical notes of citrus, wild blossom honey and hazelnut. Its texture is balanced, lush and inciting.
- Grape Types: Welschriesling, Grüner Veltliner, Weissburgunder
You might also like
- £15.99 per bottlePinela, Guerila, 2016, 75cl
- £61.50 per bottlePrestige Charles Vintage 1er Cru, 2004, 75cl
- £15.99 per bottleMuscat de Beaumes de Venise, La Séductrice, Val de Garrigue, 2016, 37.5cl
- £11.95 per bottleJordan Bradgate Syrah, 2014, 75cl
- £9.90 per bottlePetit Balthazar Merlot, 2017, 75cl
- £25.99 per bottlePickering's Sloe Gin
- £9.99 per bottleMalbec, Bío Bío, Nostros Reserva, Indómita, 2018, 75cl
- £21.99 per bottleJohannes Trapl, Blaufränkisch Reserve, Carnuntum, Austria, 2016
- £17.50 per bottleJordan Mellifera Late Harvest Riesling 2016 37.5 cl
- £13.50 per bottleTime Waits for No One Monastrell, 2016 75cl
- £2.50 per bottleBohemian Pilsner
- £15.99 per bottleVenturini Baldini, Montelocco Lambrusco, DOP, Emilia Romagna, Italy, 2016