Johannes Trapl, Carnuntum White, Carnuntum, Austria, 2018
The driven winemaker Johannes Trapl grows traditional Austrian varieties organically in the region of Carnuntum. His organic journey began over 10 years ago with the initial goal being to have all of his vineyards certified, his attention has now turned to biodynamic practices. Devoted to plant diversity and vineyard care, his grapes are carefully watched as they reach a steady, healthy ripeness. This natural, low tech approach is continued in the winery where grapes for his premium wines are foot-trodden and then naturally fermented before being aged in amphoras to help bring to life the efforts and attention shown in the vineyard.
This white blend of Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc), Grüner Veltliner and Welschriesling is lively and refreshing. The vines are up to 25 years old and grow on calcareous sandy chernozem soils around Stixneusiedl.
The grapes are handpicked and whole-bunch pressed. After 48 hours maceration, the must is fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks and oak casks. The wine is then matured for 6 months in stainless steel tanks.
Style and Values
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 12%
- Country: Austria
- Vint: 2018
- Food Match : Italian food
- Tasting Notes:
This blend shows bright yellow-green colour and typical notes of citrus, wild blossom honey and hazelnut. Its texture is balanced, lush and inciting.
- Grape Types: Welschriesling, Grüner Veltliner, Weissburgunder
You might also like
- £10.35 per bottleRioja Bordon Blanco, 2017, 75cl
- £10.15 per bottleViognier, Santa Rosa Estate, 2018, 75cl
- £16.49 per bottlePouilly Fumé, Les Loges, Domaine Pierre Marchand, 2018, 75cl
- £1.95 per bottleWooha Wheat
- £14.50 per bottleBodegas Parxet Cuvee 21 Cava Brut
- £13.90 per bottleAlvarinho, Marques De Lara, 2017, 75cl
- £38.99 per bottleTradition, Domaine Sainte Marie, 2018, 150cl
- £12.99 per bottleRosado Barrica, Finca Manzanos, Bodegas Manzanos, 2017, 75cl
- £9.99 per bottleRioja, deAlto, 2017, 75cl
- £8.49 per bottleEspinos y Cardos, Los Espinos Sauvignon Blanc, Central Valley, Chile, 2019
- £12.99 per bottlePrimasole Primitivo 2017
- £16.99 per bottleThorny Devil Grenache, Barossa Valley, Thistledown, 2016, 75cl