The Drift Farm, Year of the Rooster, Single Vineyard Touriga Franca Rosé, Overberg Highlands, South Africa, 2016
Driven by a desire to make individual, superb quality wines with exceptional character The Drift wines are carefully crafted by winemaker Bruce Jack using only grapes grown on the farm. The Drift specializes in four wines - a single vineyard Rosé, a single vineyard Pinot Noir, a single vineyard Barbera and a blended red wine from various varieties and vineyard sites on the farm. The vineyards planted are in small, irregular shaped plots to suit the various contours of the land, and the land is organically farmed. In the winery, these plots are fermented separately then married together to find balance and complexity.
This is a tiny vineyard - less than a third of an hectare. Planted at around 450 metres above sea level on the side of the mountain, the block slopes quite gently down to the dam and faces north. The soil is a unique mixture of decomposed Table Mountain sandstone and iron rock over ancient shale and clay. The vines are trained to an adapted VSP (vertical shoot positioning).
Gently destemmed and crushed, then left in the press for the juice to absorb some of the colour of the skins. Pressed to tank where wild fermentation spontaneously starts then transferred to very old barrels. Bottled with a rough filtration.
Style and Values
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 11.5%
- Country: South Africa
- Vint: 2016
- Food Match : Sushi
- Tasting Notes:
The 2016 is a lot like the 2009 - a wonderfully well structured, bone dry rosé with bold red hues. The classic intriguing floral nose of nectarines and strawberries introduces a palate awash with spring blossoms and cherry, with just a hint of blackberry tannin. This wine has 6 months oak treatment.
- Grape Types: Touriga Franca
You might also like
- £13.00 per bottleLagar de Bouza Albariño, Bouza do Rei, 2018, 75cl
- £1.95 per bottleWooHa Porter
- £40.00 per bottleArbikie Chilli Vodka
- £38.99 per bottleTradition, Domaine Sainte Marie, 2018, 150cl
- £12.99 per bottleRosado Barrica, Finca Manzanos, Bodegas Manzanos, 2017, 75cl
- £32.99 per bottleGrüner Veltliner Smaragd, Achleiten, Single Vineyard, Domäne Wachau, 2017, 75cl
- £15.90 per bottlePecorino Civitas Biodynamic, Lunaria, 2018, 75cl
- £9.90 per bottlePetit Balthazar Cinsault Rose, 2017, 75cl
- £13.49 per bottleVerdicchio di Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore, Cima Signoria, DOC, Zaccagnini, 2018, 75cl
- £8.65 per bottlePierre et Papa, Dry White, IGP Comté Tolosan, France , 2018
- £21.99 per bottleJohannes Trapl, Blaufränkisch Reserve, Carnuntum, Austria, 2016
- £10.95 per bottleD`A Marsanne, `Lot 12`, Domaine Astruc 2016