Wild & Wilder, The Exhibitionist Merlot, Barossa Valley, South Australia, Australia, 2018
Wild & Wilder is all about good clean fun. Working hand in hand with their merry (in a good season) band of growers, they craft wines of supreme quality but don’t take it all too seriously. Great fruit, grown by great people and made with a lot of love by people that know that wine is all about the good times, delicious food and creating great memories. Founded by Giles Cooke MW & Fergal Tynan MW, who also make the Thistledown wines, the mundane is just not in their DNA. Being involved in every stage of the winemaking process from bud burst to bottle means that every bottle from Wild & Wilder is an experience you’ll want to try again.
The philosophy is to do as little as possible in the winery- great wine is made in the vineyard. Keeping yields low but balanced, ensuring just the right fruit exposure and healthy canopies ensures high quality fruit. On receival at the winery, the fruit is very gently crushed before a cold soak for 2-3 days to extract aroma and colour before harsher tannins. Fermentation and storage on oak for 10 months ensure that the wines have a well integrated, subtle oak seasoning that allows the variety to truly express itself.
The Barossa Valley is rightly famed for its red wine production. On the Southern reaches of the region, the climate has more similarities with the Adelaide Hills than the valley floor. Here, varieties such as Merlot thrive in the slightly cooler temperatures. Planted on rich red loams with quartz and ironstone nuggets dotted amongst the vines which lend a structure and minerality to the wines produced.
Style and Values
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 14.5%
- Country: Australia
- Vint: 2018
- Food Match : Asian style sauces or stew with couscous
- Tasting Notes:
The Exhibitionist is full of rich plum and damson fruit on the nose. Oak used is unobtrusive on the palate which is dominated by rich red berry flavours while also presenting subtle earthy nuances. The wine is elegant and silky with a long finish.
- Grape Types: Merlot
You might also like
- £24.99 per bottleHis Eminence's Choice, 10 Year Old Tawny Port, Delaforce Port, Real Companhia Velha, 75cl
- £8.95 per bottleIl Meridione Catarratto, 2017, 75cl
- £21.45 per bottlePickering's Sloe Gin
- £10.95 per bottleChateau Billot Merlot/ Cabernet Franc 2016
- £39.95 per bottleGeorges Gardet Rose Brut, 75cl
- £8.65 per bottleCabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Central Valley, Costa Vera, Indómita, 2019, 75cl
- £16.25 per bottleCrianza, Bodegas Luis Cañas, 2016, 75cl
- £11.75 per bottleVilla Wolf Pinot Blanc 2018
- £48.99 per bottleDomaine Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Rouge, Morgeot, Burgundy, France, 2017
- £42.99 per bottleBlanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 75cl
- £15.99 per bottleSparkling Chardonnay, Vida Orgánica, N/V, 75cl
- £22.99 per bottlePansal del Calàs, Celler de Capçanes, 2013, 50cl