St Tamás, Mád Tokaji Late Harvest, Tokaji, Hungary, 2016
István Szepsy of St Tamás is intent on putting Dry Furmint on the world map and in its collective glass. Based in the village of Mád, in the heart of the Tokaji region, he works with vineyards shaped by volcanic eruptions millions of years ago. World famous for the exquisite sweet wine produced here, István knows that this volcanic terroir is key to proving that his dry wines are just as good. He creates wines with unique flavours somewhere between Loire Chenin and Chablis in style, that are refreshing with an underlying minerality that feels like the very essence of those ancient volcanic soils.
The village of Mád, the most prestigious in the region of Tokaj is still composed of many plots of small growers, the aim has been to raise the viticultural standards of the growers by guaranteeing a purchase of their grapes at an above market price dependent on their working with the Mád viticulturalists. This ensures an excellent supply of high quality grapes. The vineyards for these wines sit on the south and western sides of the hill overlooking the village and are planted on predominantly red clay, zeolite Malota and quartz rhyolite soils.
Modern temperature controlled fermentation in stainless steel tanks which allow the true character of the village to show in the wine in particular the unique minerality evident in the wines.
Style and Values
- Closure: Glass stopper
- ABV: 11%
- Country: Hungary
- Vint: 2016
- Food Match : Perfect with cheese, pudding or just with a coffee!
- Tasting Notes:
Vivid and lively late harvest wine, the natural sugar concentration is balanced by refreshing acidity. Floral, fruity intense aromas, touch of minerality and fresh fruity lingering finish.
- Grape Types: Muscat Blanc Petits Grains, harslevelu, Furmint
You might also like
- £2.50 per bottleLawless Village IPA
- £15.99 per bottleThe Drift Farm, Year of the Rooster, Single Vineyard Touriga Franca Rosé, Overberg Highlands, South Africa, 2018
- £10.00 per bottleGift Voucher £10
- £1.95 per bottleWooHa Porter
- £15.50 per bottleSimonsig Kaapse Vonkel, 2017, 75cl
- £25.00 per bottlePickering's Lowland Oak Aged Gin
- £15.90 per bottleMontepulciano Coste Di Moro Biodynamic, 2016, 75cl
- £15.50 per bottleSimonsig Kaapse Vonkel Rose 2018
- £12.99 per bottlePrimasole Primitivo 2018
- £8.99 per bottlePaparuda Pinot Noir 2019
- £10.99 per bottlePinot Noir, Santa Macarena, Espinos Y Cardos, 2018, 75cl
- £10.35 per bottleMinervois, Les Chemins De Felines, 2015, 75cl