St Tamás, Mád Tokaji Late Harvest, Tokaji, Hungary, 2017
István Szepsy of St Tamás is intent on putting Dry Furmint on the world map and in its collective glass. Based in the village of Mád, in the heart of the Tokaji region, he works with vineyards shaped by volcanic eruptions millions of years ago. World famous for the exquisite sweet wine produced here, István knows that this volcanic terroir is key to proving that his dry wines are just as good. He creates wines with unique flavours somewhere between Loire Chenin and Chablis in style, that are refreshing with an underlying minerality that feels like the very essence of those ancient volcanic soils.
The village of Mád, the most prestigious in the region of Tokaj is still composed of many plots of small growers, the aim has been to raise the viticultural standards of the growers by guaranteeing a purchase of their grapes at an above market price dependent on their working with the Mád viticulturalists. This ensures an excellent supply of high quality grapes. The vineyards for these wines sit on the south and western sides of the hill overlooking the village and are planted on predominantly red clay, zeolite Malota and quartz rhyolite soils.
Modern temperature controlled fermentation in stainless steel tanks which allow the true character of the village to show in the wine in particular the unique minerality evident in the wines.
Style and Values
- Closure: Glass stopper
- ABV: 12.5%
- Country: Hungary
- Vint: 2017
- Food Match : Perfect with cheese, pudding or just with a coffee!
- Tasting Notes:
Vivid and lively late harvest wine, the natural sugar concentration is balanced by refreshing acidity. Floral, fruity intense aromas, touch of minerality and fresh fruity lingering finish.
- Grape Types: harslevelu, Muscat Blanc Petits Grains, Furmint
You might also like
- £9.90 per bottlePetit Balthazar Cinsault Rose, 2019, 75cl
- £19.99 per bottleIona, Chardonnay, Elgin, South Africa, 2019
- £16.25 per bottleBodegas Luis Canas, Rioja Crianza, DOCA Rioja, Spain, 2017
- £50.00 per caseMixed Case - White £50 for 6 Wines
- £26.00 per caseMixed Case - Lawless, Pilsner, Session, Lager (12 Cans)
- £8.49 per bottleEspinos y Cardos, Los Espinos Sauvignon Blanc, Central Valley, Chile, 2019
- £22.99 per bottlePansal del Calàs, Celler de Capçanes, 2013, 50cl
- £11.99 per bottleVida Orgánica, Torrontés, Mendoza, Argentina, 2019
- £10.99 per bottlePinot Noir, Santa Macarena, Espinos Y Cardos, 2019, 75cl
- £10.95 per bottleChateau Billot Merlot/ Cabernet Franc 2016
- £8.95 per bottleAves Del Sur Chardonnay 2019 75cl
- £15.99 per bottleCartlidge and Browne, Cabernet Sauvignon, North Coast, USA, 2018