Clos Venturi, 1769 White, Corsica, France, 2017
There is more than meets the eye with Corsica. This island has a great spine that rises high into the azure Mediterranean sky, with mountain tops sprinkled with snow, creating a fascinating and diverse climate for such a small island. Clos Venturi sits at the very edge of the winemaking zone, up in the foothills where the winter temperatures drop as low as -10°C at night. This unique positioning coupled with biodynamic vineyard practices and some careful winemaking results in astonishingly good wine. Harmonious and showcasing the distinct terroir of the Corsican landscape, these wines display a purity of fruit, and saline freshness that trumpets their origins.
Due to undergo biodynamic certification now that they are certain that this is the way forward in terms of their beliefs and the quality of their wines. Many of the vines are planted at the very limit of the wine growing zones in Corsica. Clos Venturi is planted on schist-laden slopes with a south, southeastern exposure. The effect of this terroir, along with lower yields, hand harvesting in multiple passes, and more careful winemaking results in astonishingly good wine.
The domain uses different vats for fermenting and aging, in order to preserve freshness and minerality and enable the subtle nuances of central Corsican terroirs and indigenous varietals to fully express themselves. This careful process allows them to produce rich wines of great aromatic purity, which keep their unique character and express the particular characteristics of each vintage.
Style and Values
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 13%
- Country: France, Corsica
- Vint: 2017
- Food Match : Grilled vegetables or a creamy soup or pasta
- Tasting Notes:
Pale straw in colour with green reflections. Clean, refreshing nose with peaches, pears, citrus blossom fruit flavours, and lemony, oceanic minerality. On the palate a medley of tropical, white and citrus fruit unfolds into tangerine, grapefruit and citrus flavours. These notes continue throughout the long and lingering finish.
- Grape Types: Vermentinu
You might also like
- £14.99 per bottleOrganic Beaujolais, Domaine de la Couvette, 2018, 75cl
- £19.65 per bottleGancedo Capricho Godello, 2015, 75cl
- £11.50 per bottlePicpoul De Pinet Cuvee Paredeux 2017
- £32.99 per bottleGrüner Veltliner Smaragd, Achleiten, Single Vineyard, Domäne Wachau, 2017, 75cl
- £2.50 per bottleLawless Village IPA
- £48.99 per bottleDomaine Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Rouge, Morgeot, Burgundy, France, 2017
- £13.50 per bottleTime Waits for No One Monastrell, 2016 75cl
- £10.15 per bottleViognier, Santa Rosa Estate, 2018, 75cl
- £11.75 per bottleVilla Wolf Pinot Noir Rose, 2018 75cl
- £14.99 per bottleFine White Port, Delaforce Port, Real Companhia Velha, 75cl
- £31.75 per bottlePouilly-fume Demoiselle Bourgeois, 2013, 75cl
- £24.99 per bottleHis Eminence's Choice, 10 Year Old Tawny Port, Delaforce Port, Real Companhia Velha, 75cl