Il Borghetto, Montedesassi, IGP, Tuscany, Italy 2015
The Azienda Agricola Il Borghetto do things differently in this most well known and established region of Italy.
Led by English winemaker Tim Manning who cut his vinous teeth in vintages in Oregon, there is a determination to show the potential of the region. As a result he is at odds with the Consorzio of Chianti Classico over his methods and approach.
All the daily operations are keenly overseen by the owner, Antonio Cavallini with the help of long-term collaborator Tim Manning, a British oenologist who has worked extensively with Pinot Noir in New Zealand and above all, in Oregon. There are about twenty or so small blocks of Vineyard at Il Borghetto, each differing slightly from the other, be it in grape variety or clone, or a difference in soil type and slope aspect. They treat each one as a separate entity so that their individual characters can contribute a particular something to the final blend. Vineyard and winery Certified organic from 2018 although the winery has been run organically since 2008
Harvest by hand. Each block is fermented, pressed, racked and aged separately. Use of whole clusters. Natural yeast. Hand plunged; no pump-overs. Long fermentation maceration - on average 40 days. Free-run and pressings kept together. Wines racked and barrelled down with minimal settling. No racking during ageing.
Style and Values
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 14.5%
- Country: Italy
- Vint: 2015
- Food Match : Traditional Bruschette, Bucatino all Matriciana.
- Awards: Robert Parker 91 Points In the past, this wine was labeled as Chianti Classico. This sample seems to be an IGT Toscana wine instead. Anyway, the 2015 Montedesassi is a pure expression of Sangiovese, aged in barrel for 18 months. This wine boasts the sa
- Tasting Notes:
This is the more powerful wine of Il Borghetto's two pure Sangioveses. Sinewy, muscular tannins give the Montedesassi considerable punch and drive. Like all of these wines, the Montedesassi is quite perfumed and savoury in style.
- Grape Types: Sangiovese
You might also like
- £52.00 per caseMixed Case - £52 for 6 Wines including fizz
- £13.25 per bottleSimonsig Pinotage 2016
- £21.45 per bottlePickering's Sloe Gin
- £40.00 per bottleArbikie Vodka
- £15.99 per bottleGavi, DOCG, Tenuta Olim Bauda, 2019, 75cl
- £11.49 per bottleExtreme Vineyards Red, Bonfire Hill, 2018, 75cl
- £13.99 per bottleValpolicella, DOC, ILatium Morini , 2018, 75cl
- £20.00 per bottleGift Voucher £20
- £19.99 per bottleAlbariño, Pazo de Señorans, 2018, 75cl
- £15.90 per bottleRuminat Primitivo Lunaria Biodynamic, 75cl 2018
- £11.50 per bottleRib Duero Roble Tinto, Gorgorito, 2018, 75cl
- £63.99 per bottleBrut Prestige, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 150cl