Glen Scotia Double Cask
Campbeltown may be the smallest whisky region, but it’s certainly the whiskiest. For there was a time when whisky virtually coursed through the streets of the town… with a distillery on every corner, nigh on every inhabitant involved in its creation and boats queuing in the port to carry off casks. That’s why they say Glen Scotia is whisky from the whiskiest place in the world.
Double Cask is matured in the finest first fill bourbon barrels before being finished for up to twelve months in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks producing this outstanding single malt whisky that provides the perfect balance of rich spicy fruits, overlaid with the characteristic sea spray and vanilla oak finish for which the house of Glen Scotia is famous.
Amber. Very sweet. Initially it is all creme caramel, caramelised fruit sugars, wood sugar, toffee and fudge before some apple and peach come through. In time a charred note of bourbon with a pleasing dusty dryness. Has some power.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- ABV: 46%
- Country: Scotland
- Tasting Notes:
Sweet start and quite fat and though the alcohol gives a little tongue-tingling buzz the result is a good mid-palate weight. The dry distillery character is there still, but there is now depth to counter. Water slightly dismantles the different elements, but adds some dried mint.
Deep and dark finish
You might also like
- £8.95 per bottleAves Del Sur Chardonnay 2019 75cl
- £21.45 per bottlePickering's Sloe Gin
- £16.50 per bottleDomaine Sainte Marie, Tradition, Cotes De Provence, Rose, Provence, France, 2019
- £10.35 per bottleRioja Bordon Blanco, 2018, 75cl
- £2.50 per bottleWooHa Rauch N' Roll Porter
- £11.75 per bottleVilla Wolf Gewurztraminer, 2019, 75cl
- £10.49 per bottleBodegas Manzanos, Finca Manzanos Tempranillo Blanco, DOCa Rioja, Spain, 2020
- £15.99 per bottleZelen, Guerila, 2018, 75cl
- £22.50 per bottleSancerre Blanc Les Baronnes, 2019, 75cl
- £15.50 per bottleSimonsig Kaapse Vonkel Rose 2018
- £28.49 per bottleNeropasso, IGT, Biscardo, Mabis, 2017, 150cl
- £12.00 per bottleStrawberry & Black Pepper Gin