Glen Scotia Double Cask
Campbeltown may be the smallest whisky region, but it’s certainly the whiskiest. For there was a time when whisky virtually coursed through the streets of the town… with a distillery on every corner, nigh on every inhabitant involved in its creation and boats queuing in the port to carry off casks. That’s why they say Glen Scotia is whisky from the whiskiest place in the world.
Double Cask is matured in the finest first fill bourbon barrels before being finished for up to twelve months in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks producing this outstanding single malt whisky that provides the perfect balance of rich spicy fruits, overlaid with the characteristic sea spray and vanilla oak finish for which the house of Glen Scotia is famous.
Amber. Very sweet. Initially it is all creme caramel, caramelised fruit sugars, wood sugar, toffee and fudge before some apple and peach come through. In time a charred note of bourbon with a pleasing dusty dryness. Has some power.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- ABV: 46%
- Country: Scotland
- Tasting Notes:
Sweet start and quite fat and though the alcohol gives a little tongue-tingling buzz the result is a good mid-palate weight. The dry distillery character is there still, but there is now depth to counter. Water slightly dismantles the different elements, but adds some dried mint.
Deep and dark finish
You might also like
- £15.95 per bottleMád Dry Furmint, St Tamás, 2017, 75cl
- £13.50 per bottleSimonsig Pinotage 2018
- £10.75 per bottleMan Meets Mountain, Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina, 2021
- £20.00 per bottleGift Voucher £20
- £11.95 per bottleRose D`Anjou, Chateau De La Roulerie 2019
- £10.50 per bottleBaccolo Bianco Veneto 2020
- £9.95 per bottleSimonsig Chenin Blanc, 2021, 75cl
- £9.95 per bottleTenuta Olim Bauda Pian Centive Moscato D'Asti Frizzante, DOCG, Piedmont, Italy 37.5cl, 2019
- £9.95 per bottleSimonsig Chenin Blanc/Pinotage Rose 2021
- £15.99 per bottleZelen, Guerila, 2018, 75cl
- £13.50 per bottleThistledown, Gorgeous Grenache, South Australia, 2020
- £9.99 per bottleLa Vie En Rose, Cinsault Rose, IGP Pays D'OC, Languedoc, France, 2020