Thistledown, Silken Beastie Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia, 2020
Ever since historic Scots, James Busby and John MacArthur founded the Australian wine industry in the early 19th century, the relationship between Scotland and Australia has been an enduring one.
Guardians of a long history, Thistledown Wine Co. continues the tradition of Scottish ingenuity and great Australian wine. From their small-batch winery in the idyllic Adelaide Hills, they work with pristine fruit sourced from iconic vineyard sites.
Drawing on fruit from Ebenezer, Kalimna and Koonunga regions of north west Barossa, fruit was characteristically picked on the way up rather than the way down with a proportion hand picked and retained as whole bunches in the ferment.
The remaining fruit was gently destemmed to leave whole berries before a native yeast ferment with twice daily hand plunges to aid gentle extraction. Each component part was aged separately for 6 months prior to blending and then a further 12 months in 300l French oak, of which 30% was new. The wine was then bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 14.5%
- Country: Barossa Valley, Australia
- Vint: 2020
- Food Match : North African and Middle eastern cuisine
- Awards: The Wine Companion 91 Points Robert Parkers The Wine Advocate 93 Points
- Tasting Notes:
Complex and concentrated yet pleasingly light on it's feet. Free your mind from stereotypes of the past, be willing to give things another go and imagine the beauty and subtlety that can be borne of an otherwise hostile environment. Not afraid to do the same themselves, it's taken a second incarnation before they were convinced that they had captured the real beauty of the Barossa.
- Grape Types: Shiraz
You might also like
- £9.25 per bottleFelicette, Grenache Noir, Languedoc & South West, France, 2020
- £16.49 per bottlePouilly Fumé, Les Loges, Domaine Pierre Marchand, 2020, 75cl
- £65.75 per bottlePouilly-fume Demoiselle, Magnum, 2012, 150cl
- £9.30 per bottleThe Wrong Un Shiraz, Cabernet, One Chain Vineyards, 2020, 75cl
- £60.00 per caseNew - Mixed Case White
- £11.75 per bottleVilla Wolf Pinot Blanc 2019
- £10.70 per bottleGorgorito Rueda Verdejo, 2018, 75cl
- £10.99 per bottleFunkstille Gruner Veltliner, Niederosterreich, Austria, 2020
- £19.49 per bottleKatz Pinot Gris, Domaine Klur, 2019, 75cl
- £17.50 per bottleJordan Mellifera Late Harvest Riesling 2019 37.5 cl
- £11.99 per bottleLe Bio Balthazar Minervois 2020
- £29.95 per bottlePickering's Original 1947