Simonsig Mr. Borio's Shiraz 2018
Named after its dramatic views of the Simonsberg Mountain, the estate is situated in Stellenbosch, one of South Africa's premier wine regions, 45 km east of Cape Town. At the helm are the Malan family, descendants of the French Huguenot Jacques Malan who first arrived in the Cape in 1688, although it was the late Frans Malan who pioneered much of what the company stands for today.
In 1993 a new planting program was started for Shiraz and only the best
available clones were planted. The 2018 vintage was really challenging, due to the prolonged drought which was accompanied by water restrictions, and which some believe to be the worst in 100 years. The expertise of the vineyard team and cellar were definitely put to the test by the warm and dry climatic conditions. Simonsig adapted their practices both in the vineyard and the cellar, to decrease the effect of water shortages. The dry weather throughout the season did have its advantages, as vines were healthy, with little or no pests or diseases being recorded in most regions. The dry, warm weather resulted in smaller berries with great intensity. The Shiraz harvest did not disappoint, delivering wines with an abundance of fruit and beautiful balance.
Named after Alessandro Borio, a prisoner of war during the Second World War. He stayed on in South Africa and became a close friend of the Malan family. Mr Borio built the first cement wine tanks at Simonsig - Dark cherry, white pepper and succulent ripe berries.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- Closure: Cork
- ABV: 14%
- Country: South Africa, Stellenbosch
- Vint: 2018
- Food Match : Pairs well with stuffed mushrooms and vegan meat pizza
- Tasting Notes:
The wine has a vivid Persian red colour. Bursting berry fruit aromas of raspberries and black cherry comes alive in the glass with hints of strawberry sherbet and a subtle white pepper spice. A zippy acidity gives this medium bodied Shiraz a lovely freshness. The tannins are soft and well-integrated to round off this wine.
- Grape Types: Shiraz
You might also like
- £52.00 per caseMixed Case - £52 for 6 Wines including fizz
- £65.75 per bottlePouilly-fume Demoiselle, Magnum, 2012, 150cl
- £8.25 per bottleBella Modella, Pinot Grigio Blush, Colline Teatine, IGT, Italy, 2021
- £50.00 per caseMixed Case - Red £50 for 6 Wines
- £8.99 per bottleSolara, Rose, Viile Timisului Romania, 2020
- £11.50 per bottleDr. Fischer Steinbock Alcohol Free Sparkling
- £39.99 per bottleGlen Scotia Double Cask
- £10.00 per bottleGift Voucher £10
- £19.99 per bottleCave De Ribeauville, Pinot Noir, Alsace, France, 2017
- £14.99 per bottleFine White Port, Delaforce Port, Real Companhia Velha, 75cl
- £10.99 per bottleMarques De Lara Vinho Verde, 2020, 75cl
- £9.25 per bottlePaparuda Pinot Grigio 2021