The Great Escape Chardonnay, Eden Valley Thistledown, 2022, 75cl
Ever since historic Scots, James Busby and John MacArthur founded the Australian wine industry in the early 19th century, the relationship between Scotland and Australia has been an enduring one. Guardians of a long history, Thistledown Wine Co. continues the tradition of Scottish ingenuity and great Australian wine. From their small-batch winery in the idyllic Adelaide Hills, they work with pristine fruit sourced from iconic vineyard sites.
Great Escape is a benchmark, cooler climate Chardonnay produced from fruit grown in the Eden Valley’s elevated vineyard sites which allow for a long ripening period which helps to maintain the natural sugar and acid balance of the grape. Trellised vineyards, pruned to produce moderate yields.
As with all their wines, the winemaking process is a gentle one with the intention of preserving the natural flavours of the wine while at the same time building layers of texture. Fruit went directly to press after picking. The free run juice was run off to tank to settle. They retain a relatively high level of solids in the ferment, all of which is wild fermented in used French oak or concrete egg. We do not encourage malolactic as we want to preserve the crisp, citrus fruit profile.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- Style: Still
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 13.5%
- Country: Australia
- Vint: 2022
- Food Match : Aromatic Asian dishes.
- Awards: James Suckling 93 Points Wild fermented in a combination of used French oak and a concrete egg. Mlf was discouraged to retain acidity. More flavourful than in recent years. Stone and orchard fruits spill across gentle acid rails. The fruit inte
- Tasting Notes:
Citrussy, subtle oak influence and a bright yet creamy palate. With moderate alcohol, focussed, crisp citrus fruit and a mouthwatering finish, this is an accomplished, truly modern style of this noble variety.
- Grape Types: Chardonnay
You might also like
- £14.25 per bottleThistledown, Gorgeous Grenache, South Australia, 2021
- £16.75 per bottlePecorino Civitas Biodynamic, Lunaria, 2021, 75cl
- £22.99 per bottleIona, Chardonnay, Elgin, South Africa, 2021
- £13.99 per bottleLa Contessa Gavi Di Gavi 2021
- £10.49 per bottleBodegas Manzanos, Finca Manzanos Rosado, DOCa Rioja, Spain, 2020
- £8.95 per bottleAves Del Sur Cabernet Sauvignon, 2020, 75cl
- £8.95 per bottleBella Modella, Pinot Grigio Rose, Colline Teatine, IGT, Italy, 2022
- £19.95 per bottleJordan Mellifera Late Harvest Riesling 2020 37.5 cl
- £14.25 per bottleThistledown, Gorgeous Grenache Rose South Australia, 2021
- £33.99 per bottleClos Henri Pinot Noir, 2016, 75cl
- £60.00 per caseMixed Case White
- £9.50 per bottlePaparuda, Feteasca Regala, Banat 2022