Domaine Klur, Les Katz, 'La Reine' Pinot Gris, Alsace, France, 2019
Certified organic and following biodynamic practices, this small estate of just 7 hectares is nestled on steep slopes in the heart of Alsace.
Whilst Clement Klur is still very much involved at every stage from vine to bottle, he has now joined forces with his good neighbour, Leon Heitzmann, and their joint effort in the vineyards is reflected in the increasing quality of the wines. These vineyards are tranquil places, full of fruit trees dotted amongst the vines which attract and offer shelter to local wildlife. This symbiotic relationship helps maintain the health and balance of their land. The steep vineyards means the harvest is carried out by hand, allowing the pickers to be very selective and gentle in choosing the healthiest fruit to ensure that the resulting wine is always of the highest quality.
Vine stocks are around 40 years old, planted on limestone- clay soils just below the village of Katzenthal, The terroir gives it a powerful structure and an interesting ageing potential. Harvested by hand which allows selection of the best fruit. Slowly pressed during 6 hours and then start the vinification with a very pure juice. The alcoholic fermentation is carried out in casks with natural yeasts helping to tease out the minerality and fullness of the wine. Only minimal use of sulphur is required during bottling to conserv the freshness and aromas of the wine.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- Style: Still
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 13%
- Country: France
- Vint: 2019
- Food Match : Truffle risotto or creamy pasta dishes.
- Tasting Notes:
A round and tempting wine which is straw yellow in colour. Elegant and flowery nose with hints of acacia and lime. A smooth and fresh palate echoing the exotic lime notes and a sweet fruit finish. A classy glass of Pinot Gris!
- Grape Types: Pinot Gris
You might also like
- £16.75 per bottleLunaria Montepulciano Coste Di Moro Biodynamic, 2018
- £63.99 per bottleBrut Prestige, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 150cl
- £8.99 per bottleIndomita, Nostros Late Harvest, Casablanca, Chile, 2022
- £14.25 per bottleAlvarinho, Marques De Lara, 2019, 75cl
- £10.00 per bottleGift Voucher £10
- £52.00 per caseMixed Case - Red 6 wines
- £22.45 per bottleThe Grapesmith Die Kluisennar 2018
- £12.49 per bottleUmani Ronchi Villa Bianchi 2019
- £17.99 per bottleMOXXÉ Pinot Grigio E Verduzzo Spumante Brut
- £15.99 per bottleSimonsig Mr. Borio's Shiraz 2019
- £12.99 per bottleCielo e Terra, Casa Defra, Prosecco Rose DOC, Italy, 2020
- £32.25 per bottlePouilly Fume La Demoiselle De Bourgeois (Tete De Cuvee) 2015