Sauvignon Blanc, Elim, Trizanne Signature Wines, 2017, 75cl
We have always enjoyed working with winemakers who are prepared to push the boundaries. Trizanne Barnard is definitely one of these. Deciding to focus on Elim to produce her white wines, she went as far south as it is possible to go. Elim is an ancient land, at the confluence of the Indian and Atlantic oceans, and at the mercy of the prevailing south easterly wind. It is this, the coolest of cool South African climates that Trizanne has realised her ambition to make aromatic, textured, elegant white wines. Latterly she has also developed a wonderful Syrah in this wind ravaged land too. To balance these challenges she also works in Swartzland, the home of the recent South African winemaking renaissance, making reds that are light of touch, vibrant and full of life. Viticulture- Grapes are sourced from 2 different farms and 4 different parcels. Soils vary from ferricrete, schale and decomposed granite.Vineyards are trellised and irrigated during the young vine stadium. Predominant winds in the summer is the South Easterlies which has a cooling effect from the Atlantic and Indian ocean, resulting in long ripening periods. It is a Maritime climate. Winemaking- Grapes are picked early morning and transported to the winery. They are left in refrigerated containers overnight to cool the grapes down to 10C, after which they ared destemmed, crushed and pressed. The juice is then racked to tank, settled for 36 hours and then inoculated. Fermentation is approximately 14 days at 14C. The lees are stirred in tank for another 2 weeks before being racked off the gross lees. Wines are left on the fine lees for approx 3-6 months before bottling. No oak treatment.
Style and Values
- Style: Still
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 13.5%
- Country: South Africa
- Vint: 2017
- Food Match : This is great as a glass of wine on it's own But fresh oysters is the obvious match for this super Sauvignon!
- Tasting Notes: Vibrant and fresh nose of crushed rocks, ripe pear and yellow gooseberry. Quite energetic on the palate which builds and has more profundity than one may first realise. Walks the tightrope between bracing Elim freshness and ripe fruit brilliantly. Finishes on a dry, clean and very classy note.
- Grape Types: Sauvignon Blanc
You might also like
- £9.60 per bottleSimonsig Chenin Blanc, 2017, 75cl
- £44.25 per bottleBenromach Organic
- £10.99 per bottleI Think Manzanilla En Rama, Equipo Navazos Sherry , Equipo Navazos, 2017, 37.5cl
- £14.49 per bottleMád Dry Furmint, St Tamás, 2016, 75cl
- £2.50 per bottleBohemian Pilsner
- £1.95 per bottleWooHa Lager
- £13.00 per bottleLagar de Bouza Albariño, Bouza do Rei, 2017, 75cl
- £13.50 per bottleTime Waits for No One Monastrell, 2016 75cl
- £15.99 per bottleGavi, DOCG, Tenuta Olim Bauda, 2016, 75cl
- £51.99 per bottleDominio de Cair, Cair, DO Ribera del Duero, Spain (150cl.), 2012
- £11.25 per bottleArrogant Frog, Ribet Chard/viog, 2016, 75cl
- £12.99 per bottlePradio, Passaparola, Prosecco, Spumante DOC, Veneto, Italy, N/V