Pansal del Calàs, Celler de Capçanes, 2013, 50cl
In the Catalan countryside there lies a little village of 400 people growing olives and a little cereal, but mostly grapes. Lauded some years ago as one of the best co-ops in the world, Capçanes is at the forefront of the movement to revitalise the wine production of the DO Montsant. Led by winemakers Jürgen and Anna, they are champions of Grenache, making remarkably distinctive single site expressions from different soil types. Viticulture- Small plots of old Grenache and Carignan vines (60-85 years old) Soil: clay, granite; very mineral; two plots of slate in terraces. Altitude: 500m Winemaking- On the 7th day, fermentation is halted with the addition of grape alcohol retaining a natural sweetness of 70 g/l. Maceration for 30 days, both varieties are vinified together in stainless steel tanks. Not cold stabilszed, light filtration Oak treatment- Time: 15 months; Type: French ; % oaked: 100; % new oak: 50.
Style and Values
- Style: Fortified
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 16.5%
- Country: Spain
- Vint: 2013
- Food Match : The relatively low sugar level (compared to other Sweet Reds like Banyuls or Port) allows this wine to pair with main courses like, nut roast, roasted beef, stews... and any kind of bitter flavours like coffee, nuts. Try with a Tiramisu.
- Tasting Notes: This dark almost black wine has enormous concentration, resulting in very ripe seductive fruits like roasted aromas of plums, cassis and dark cherries and currant, toast, coffee and mocha. Perfectly aligned alcohol and lively acidity with an elegant smooth finesse. The sugar level is attractive and well integrated and the wine shows serious soft and ripe red wine tannin structure.
- Grape Types: Carignan, Grenache
You might also like
- £8.49 per bottleCabernet Sauvignon Rosé, Central Valley, Costa Vera, Indómita, 2018, 75cl
- £14.99 per bottleVenturini Baldini, Montelocco Lambrusco, DOP, Emilia Romagna, Italy, 2016
- £22.25 per bottleSancerre Blanc Les Baronnes, 2017, 75cl
- £10.85 per bottleMarques De Lara Vinho Verde, 2017, 75cl
- £14.99 per bottleThe Great Escape Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills, Thistledown, 2015, 75cl
- £15.75 per bottleRuminat Primitivo Lunaria Biodynamic, 75cl 2017
- £11.75 per bottleVilla Wolf Pinot Noir Rose, 2017 75cl
- £42.99 per bottleBlanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 75cl
- £15.99 per bottleGavi, DOCG, Tenuta Olim Bauda, 2016, 75cl
- £11.25 per bottlePicpoul De Pinet Cuvee Paredeux 2017
- £7.99 per bottleBlanco, Campo Flores, Vinos Más Buscados, 2017, 75cl
- £38.00 per bottleArbikie Haar Vodka