Majella, Sparkling Shiraz, Coonawarra 2017
With some fantastic grapes, one of Australia’s best winemakers and a state of the art winery, Majella craft some of the finest wines in the country on one of the most revered strips of dirt in the wine world. Winemaker, Bruce Gregory, who made the very first wine for Majella and has made each one ever since. This flagship wine is a masterpiece which has entered Langton’s Classification of Australia’s Best Wines.
Coonawarra lies only 60 miles inland, exposed to a maritime climate, with dry and moderately cool summers. Persistent cloud cover generally moderates the ripening period temperatures. The 'Terra Rossa' of Coonawarra is Australia's most famous soil, renowned for its affinity with Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
Primary fermentation was in 10 tonne stainless steel static fermenter's pumped over twice daily and finished in hogsheads. Secondary fermentation done in bottle on "lees" for almost 12 months. The wine is then disgorged and a small amount of "liqueur" (sweetener) is added. In the true Aussie tradition they use some really fantastic vintage port.
Style and Values
- Style: Sparkling
- Closure: Crown Seal
- ABV: 14%
- Country: Australia
- Vint: 2017
- Food Match : It’s a great wine for any occasion, and goes well with most food styles particularly mediterranean dishes of Falafel and chickpea stews. Also spicy foods
- Tasting Notes:
One of Australia's best sparkling red wines. Full flavoured with a subtle balance of fruit and vanilla wood, hints of spice cinnamon and pepper with a presence of yeasty bread characteristics with soft acid balance to finish the palate.
- Grape Types: Shiraz
You might also like
- £8.49 per bottleEspinos y Cardos, Los Espinos Sauvignon Blanc, Central Valley, Chile, 2019
- £10.85 per bottleMarques De Lara Vinho Verde, 2018, 75cl
- £29.95 per bottlePickering's Original 1947
- £42.99 per bottleBlanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Champagne Pierre Mignon, 75cl
- £14.50 per bottleBodegas Parxet Cuvee 21 Cava Brut
- £8.95 per bottleAves Del Sur Carmenere, 2019, 75cl
- £10.35 per bottleMinervois, Les Chemins De Felines, 2015, 75cl
- £10.15 per bottleSanta Rosa Estate, Torrontés, Pinot Grigio, Mendoza, Argentina, 2018
- £13.99 per bottleValpolicella, DOC, ILatium Morini , 2018, 75cl
- £16.25 per bottleCrianza, Bodegas Luis Cañas, 2016, 75cl
- £19.50 per bottleBesos de Oro
- £13.49 per bottleCava Brut Reserva, Bodegas Sumarroca, 2016, 75cl