Johannes Trapl, Blaufränkisch Prellenkirchen, Carnuntum, Austria, 2017
The driven winemaker Johannes Trapl grows traditional Austrian varieties organically in the region of Carnuntum. His organic journey began over 10 years ago with the initial goal being to have all of his vineyards certified, his attention has now turned to biodynamic practices. Devoted to plant diversity and vineyard care, his grapes are carefully watched as they reach a steady, healthy ripeness.
The Blaufränkisch Reserve stems from vines up to 38 years old vines that thrive on Danube gravel, loess, loam and limestone soils that dominate the geology around Stixneusiedl and Prellenkirchen. The density of vines is 3000 - 5500 vines/ha, and are 100% organic.
Grapes are manually harvested in small crates and carefully sorted by hand again in the winery. 80 % of the grapes were destemmed and trodden by foot. The remaining 20 % were trodden on the stems. Fermentation began on the mash and concluded in barrels. After 6 to 10 days maceration, the mash was pressed gently. The 14-month maturation took place in 500-litre barrels. No cultivated yeasts, bacteria or fining agents were used during vinification.
Style and Values
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 12.5%%
- Country: Austria
- Vint: 2017
- Food Match : Hearty dishes and casseroles
- Tasting Notes:
Dark ruby with purple highlights. Delicate black cherry, intense herbal spice, subtle liquorice and a touch of tangerine zest. Complex and mineral with a superbly balanced acidity and tannin structure.
- Grape Types: Blaufrankisch
You might also like
- £11.49 per bottleWild & Wilder, The Exhibitionist Merlot, Barossa Valley, South Australia, Australia, 2018
- £9.60 per bottleSimonsig Chenin Blanc, 2018, 75cl
- £10.15 per bottleViognier, Santa Rosa Estate, 2018, 75cl
- £10.99 per bottleFamille Morin, Cuvée Caroline, Picpoul de Pinet, Languedoc, France, 2019
- £9.30 per bottleIl Meridione Nero D`Avola 2018
- £19.49 per bottleKatz Pinot Gris, Domaine Klur, 2017, 75cl
- £10.00 per bottleGift Voucher £10
- £9.30 per bottleAlasia Cortese, 2018, 75cl
- £16.99 per bottleJohannes Trapl, Carnuntum White, Carnuntum, Austria, 2018
- £25.00 per bottlePickering's Islay Oak Aged Gin
- £20.00 per bottleGift Voucher £20
- £59.75 per bottleBenromach 15 Year Old