Funkstille Zweigelt, Niederosterreich, Austria, 2020
We all need a little 'Funkstille' (radio silence) in our life now and again.
Kick back and take a moment to enjoy the silence with a glass of Grüner Veltliner. With its subtle exotic hints, ripe pear and fresh citrus flavours, it's a dry wine with complex flavours. The palate is rich with flavours of melon and grapefruit with a refreshing, zippy finish. Gruner Veltliner is joined by a bright, juicy, joyful red produced from 100% Zweigelt. Abundant red cherry, plum and vibrant berry fruits combine in this joyful, bright and incredibly juicy red; medium-bodied with beautifully ripe and light tannins and touch of spice on the finish.
Zweigelt grapes from selected south facing vineyards, perfectly exposed to the sun, produce a bright, ripe and abundant red wine. Great care and attention is taken with canopy management in order to balance the leaf density of the vines and ensure good air-flow and healthy grapes. Harvest takes place in mid-October.
Grapes are vinified at their energy neutral winery; cold-soaked for 5 days after which fermentation starts slowly. Twice-daily pump-overs are carried out for the first 10 days and then the wine is left on the skins for a further 5 days with just one pump-over per day. Malo-lactic fermentation happens simultaneously with the main ferment. The finished wine then goes into old wooden 5,000-8,000 litre barrels, with 10% going into 2-3 year old barriques. The components are then blended prior to bottling.
Oak Treatment is 5000 - 8000l barrels and 10% Barriqee 2-3 years old
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- Closure: Screwcap
- ABV: 13%
- Country: Austria
- Vint: 2020
- Food Match : This juicy wine works well with roasted dishes and a good old fashioned nut roast - as well as around the barbecue.
- Tasting Notes:
Abundant red cherry, plum and vibrant berry fruits combine in this joyful, bright and incredibly juicy red; medium-bodied with beautifully ripe and light tannins and touch of spice on the finish.
- Grape Types: Zweigelt
You might also like
- £21.99 per bottleSauvignon Gris, Estero Vineyard, Casa Marin, 2019, 75cl
- £2.75 per canBear Country IPA
- £11.99 per bottleI Think Manzanilla En Rama, Equipo Navazos Sherry , Equipo Navazos, 2021, 37.5cl
- £10.75 per bottleVermador Rosé
- £9.30 per bottleThe Wrong Un Shiraz, Cabernet, One Chain Vineyards, 2020, 75cl
- £8.25 per bottleBella Modella, Pinot Grigio Blush, Colline Teatine, IGT, Italy, 2021
- £12.25 per bottleVilla Wolf Gewurztraminer, 2020, 75cl
- £10.99 per bottlePinot Noir, Santa Macarena, Espinos Y Cardos, 2020, 75cl
- £19.99 per bottleSt Tamás, Mád Tokaji Late Harvest, Tokaji, Hungary, 2017
- £8.49 per bottleBlanco, Campo Flores, Vinos Más Buscados, 2020, 75cl
- £9.25 per bottlePaparuda Pinot Grigio 2021
- £15.99 per bottleDomaine Des Tourelles Red 2017