Domaine Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Rouge, Morgeot, Burgundy, France, 2019
Laurent Pillot, who took over the running of Domaine Pillot in his mid-twenties, transformed his family estate from grape growers to one of the more distinguished estates in the Côte de Beaune.
With a superb collection of vineyards and a modern winemaking facility on the edge of the village, both their red and white wines are of an excellent quality. From the exotic fruit driven Meursault through to the round, sultry Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Rouge the underlying minerality shines through.
The soil is very stony, mixed with shallow red earth. Sometimes the limestone base rock breaks into the soil profile. This results in a very hot micro climate in summer near the grape bunches, due to the reflected sunlight from the white stones. The soil also contains iron ore. They became High Environmental Value (HVE) level 3 certified at the beginning of 2021, recognition for all of the work they have done over the years working "agrobiologie" and cultivating the soils without using chemical weed killers.
The hand harvested grapes arrive at the winery where they are destemmed and vatted in stainless steel and concrete. The fermentation starts with natural yeasts and there is daily "pigeage" or punching down. The wine is then racked into barrels and is matured for 16 months in oak of which a 30% is new oak.
Style and Values
- Type: Bottle
- Closure: Natural Cork
- ABV: 13.5%
- Country: Burgundy, France
- Vint: 2019
- Food Match : Fabulous with rich dishes, pates or terrines
- Tasting Notes:
A wonderfully expressive aroma of ripe wild strawberries, violets and cherries, gives way to a silky palate of concentrated yet subtle and refined fruit. Fine French oak creates a background of savoury, smoky flavours upon which there is ample, juicy, ripe fruit with tangy mineral elements. Well balanced, complex and smooth on the finish.
- Grape Types: Pinot Noir
You might also like
- £16.25 per bottleDomaine Michaut Freres, Chablis, Burgundy, France, 2020
- £10.95 per bottleD`A Viognier `Lot 18` Domaine Astruc 2020
- £15.49 per bottleDomaine des Tourelles White 2018
- £44.25 per bottleBenromach Organic
- £19.99 per bottleSt Tamás, Mád Tokaji Late Harvest, Tokaji, Hungary, 2017
- £14.50 per bottleBodegas Parxet Cuvee 21 Cava Brut 2018
- £10.35 per bottleRioja Royal Tinto 2020
- £42.95 per bottleKingsbarn Dream to Dram
- £34.99 per bottleIl Borghetto, Montedesassi, IGP, Tuscany, Italy 2017
- £39.00 per bottleKirsty's Gin
- £14.99 per bottleMád Dry Furmint, St Tamás, 2017, 75cl
- £21.99 per bottleSauvignon Gris, Estero Vineyard, Casa Marin, 2019, 75cl